Turkcell, one of the leading communications and technology companies in Turkey, has today announced that they have developed what they call “the most advanced mobile wallet solution in the world”. In their own words they say that, their Turkcell Wallet now offers a complete package of innovative solutions on a single commerce and payment platform.
The company claim that this is a world first – enabling physical or online shopping by just using the mobile phone number, instead of the credit card. Turkcell Wallet is a SIM based application, that works on all mobile phones. The transactions is initiated through the SIM menu on all phones, or with a native application on smartphones, and supports contactless payment on NFC-enabled phones. Turkcell claim that this unique service is available for all Turkcell customers, whether they are bank customers or not. Turkcell is making the Turkcell Wallet readily available for their 28 million Turkcell subscribers from the beginning (no trial period or slow rollout) and say that customers will now be able to experience “simple and secure mobile transactions 24/7″.
Turkcell CEO Sureyya Ciliv commented, “Mobile communication technologies change the way of doing business and reshape the world, while finance and banking take the lead in this rapid adaption. Investing in mobile payment systems and collaborating with banks since 2008, we have introduced global firsts and become the driving force of this change in Turkey. Turkcell Wallet is unique and revolutionary and all that we need, by providing all offers on a single commerce and payment platform with its simple, secure, and user-friendly interface. Turkcell Wallet will open the door to a new era in shopping and e-commerce as an inventive commercial platform where all of Turkey’s leading brands and banks will be available.”
Those banks include the likes of Garanti, Akbank, Denizbank, YapiKredi, Bank Asya, Finansbank, CitiBank, Halkbank, ING and KuveytTürk
The features of Turkcell Wallet covering mobile payments, mobile banking and mobile loyalty programs are broken out below and are the cornerstones of what Turkcell calls the world’s most advanced mobile wallet solution – all in collaboration with MasterCard;
1) Simple, secure, and fast payment through the mobile:
- E-commerce payments: By simply using a mobile phone number during online shopping with participating websites through cards on Turkcell Wallet.
- Contactless payment: Via NFC-enabled handsets at contactless acceptance points.
- Face to face payments: Very soon, by simply entering mobile phone numbers on a POS device at participating stores to complete payments through cards on Turkcell Wallet.
2) Mobile Banking:
- Money Transfers: Enables cash transfer to any person’s mobile number 24/7 without requiring a bank account.
- Air-time top-up: To any Turkcell prepaid account within seconds.
- Purchasing Package Options: Easy purchase of voice, SMS, data or bundle packages.
- Utility payments: Very soon, it will be possible to pay Turkcell invoices, utility bills and those of other participating institutions.
3) Mobile loyalty program:
- Offers and coupons: The offers tailored to the personal needs and location based services of various shopping and daily offer websites can be viewed and purchased simultaneously.
“We believe that Turkcell Wallet, which we initially developed in collaboration with Garanti Bank, and which will shortly see the participation of 13 other banks, will become indispensable for our customers”, said Turkcell Chief New Technology Business Officer Cenk Bayrakdar, “Turkcell Wallet brings together the participating banks, MasterCard’s secure infrastructure, and Turkcell’s technology to combine mobile payment, mobile banking, and mobile loyalty programs in a single service to let our customers leave their wallets at home. Now your mobile becomes your wallet.”